Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Photo artist Daniel Munteanu finds the Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue an inspiring creative asset



Romanian fine-art photographer Daniel Munteanu recently worked with his Canon 5D Mark II, 100mm Canon Macro Lens and Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer for three days in Romania's Retezat Mountains Nature Reserve and National Park. Although this beautiful park features more than 60 mountain peaks and 100 deep glacier lakes, Daniel concentrated on his own special project. "An important part of my work as a colorist in the field is to explore new ways to produce appealing and enhanced color schemes straight from the camera. I pursue my art both in the studio and in the field and strive for images that have a solid quality to them and don’t bother the eye by being artificial or oversaturated. We might say I'm seeking new, alternative ways through which we may see a color photograph.


"If I don’t get a photograph with good color graduation and information straight out of the camera, it takes a Photoshop expert way too much time to replicate the effects that I seek. Worse yet, it may simply turn the photograph into something else, like digital art or an excessively manipulated photo. Most photographers don’t want that, for several well founded reasons. That’s where the Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer came to be used on this particular project. I have used it before on a previous project, but this time it meant going a different way.

"I took my camera and monopod and went up and down the course of the Big River and along other small streams in the Retezat Mountains area, which was still fresh and teeming with moss covered stones. I tried to get the specularity of the water to show from different positions and angles, thus producing different graduations of color with the filter -- either the golden or the blue tones, sometimes even getting that in-between violet hanging out there. I took a photograph in each color choice for every composition and decided on the final selection when I returned home.

"This filter renders the subject within a beautiful quality and light. The tones are perfect for post processing, though they look very good just straight out of the camera. I would never try to replicate the hues the Gold-N-Blue can produce by means of computer software."

You can find more images of this and other projects on Daniel's website, and you can keep up with his project via Facebook.

No comments: