Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Successful images are more likely whenever and wherever you take your ND grads

There are many serious photographers who love the outdoors and seeing new places, but Philadelphia-based photographer Brett Cohen has demonstrated a special talent for capturing award-winning images wherever he travels.

"I recently embarked on a one-week, solo driving tour throughout Northern Canada. This shot was captured while exploring Jasper National Park, the largest and most northerly national park in the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Comprised of many subtle and vigilantly protected ecosystems, Jasper’s 4200 square miles of valleys, mountains, glaciers, forests, alpine meadows and wild rivers provided me with a vast array of beautiful scenery to shoot. This particular image was taken using a Singh-Ray 2-stop Reverse Graduated ND filter. As you can see, it balanced out the light so well that I was left with very little post-processing work. I simply hand-held the filter in front of my lens, placed it precisely where I wanted it and began snapping away. For any photographer who may be undecided as to which Graduated ND Filter to purchase for the first time, I would highly recommend this one.

"In search of a seacoast location to shoot a sunrise, I came upon the beautiful, 1,665-acre barrier peninsula of Sandy Hook, New Jersey, which is actually a U.S. National Park. The seven-mile stretch of spectacular ocean and bay beaches is just part of the outstanding subject matter available to photographers and nature lovers. I was especially captivated with the rocks jutting out of the water in this scene, and thought that it would help create a striking composition. I used my Reverse Graduated ND Filter to help control the light and enable me to capture the sun star. The filter worked to my advantage brilliantly in this image, since there were some very interesting clouds present in the sky which also assisted in controlling the light.

"Beavertail State Park -- located in Jamestown, Rhode Island -- is known for offering some of the most beautiful vistas along the New England coastline. The rocky, windswept point looks south to the open Atlantic and separates the East and West Passages of Narragansett Bay. This dynamic meeting of land and sea inspires a full awareness of nature’s powers that I was able to capture by using my 3-stop, soft-step Graduated ND filter. This shot was taken in July of 2008, when I was fortunate enough to have the lighting and weather conditions working in my favor. By hand-holding the filter, I could quickly position it exactly where I needed it. This filter made it possible for me to control the bright light in the sky and capture the full spectrum of tones and colors I saw that day.

"I selected these three photos to represent just how important my Singh-Ray Graduated ND filters are. When I visit a new location, I'm looking for some way to make my image magical. When that moment happens, I want my exposure to be capable of properly capturing the full range of light in the scene. That's why, for most of my landscapes, I rely on my ND grads to balance the bright light levels in the sky with the darker tones encountered in the foreground. By achieving this balance while I'm in the field," says Brett, "I leave the scene confident that I've captured it.

Brett's images have recently won honors in Outdoor Photographer, Popular Photography, Digital Photo, and the Florida State Parks photo competition. Visit his gallery for more information and more examples of his fine photography.

2 comments:

Nature Lover said...

Rhode Island is a nice place to visit. Actually this is a place of great natural beauty which will obviously impress you. Brett cohen's images were so cool and really appreciative. I guess this ND filter was cool enough for the support

Anonymous said...

Congrats for being featured here Brett, wonderful work as always.

Regards from Argentina

Ricardo La Piettra
www.ricardolapiettra.com