Friday, May 01, 2009

Digital photographers who know their business also know their filters

Each time we hear from the ever-successful photo team of Joe DiMaggio and JoAnne Kalish, we're reminded that many full-time photographers have come to rely on Singh-Ray filters for their sales success.

As Joe says, "I'm slow to change. Even after most of my peers switched from analog to digital, I lagged a solid five years behind -- maybe more. Sally Lloyd, a good friend and former photo editor at both Image Bank and at the Stock Market, once told me I was 'twenty years ahead of the curve.' I knew she was overly gracious. When I finally decided to give up film, I told myself, 'Well at least now I won't need all these filters anymore. In the world of digital photography who needs filters?'

"Over the years I had gone through probably hundreds of filters -- black & white, color conversion, ND grads, polarizers -- of every different size. However, I quickly realized I was mistaken -- filters were going to be essential for my digital shooting, too. From my very first experience with the instant gratification of digital photography, I felt compelled to shoot all my personal work the same excited way I had at age 16. I started reshooting everything I had done when I was younger, but now with the ability to instantly see the resulting images, I was able to use my filters in totally different and more creative ways. I was able to modify my exposure by 1/3 of a stop and become more precise in the art I was generating. The Singh-Ray Color Intensifier permanently replaced my UV filter on my lens. The majority of my work today is filmmaking. I'm in the process of directing a feature documentary about boxing called Gleason's: the Last American Melting Pot. I have a few surprises in that film where I utilize Singh-Ray filters.

"During an extremely successful corporate shoot last year, I used a Gold-N-Blue Polarizer to make this flat-panel television image come alive, making the boutique hotel room more interesting. Afterwards, I also gave this photo to my agent, and I'm pleased to say the international sales for this deceptively simple photograph recently gleaned us another one-time sale of $4,800 -- which pleases the hard core businessman in me as well as the artist. The more I use Singh-Ray filters the more I find fresh, creative and profitable applications for them."



On the topic of filters, JoAnne Kalish is quick to mention this image from her recent trip to Paris. "My sister and I were visiting a friend there and when we arrived at my friend's apartment we were able to look out on this view of the Eiffel Tower in the distance. After joking about the lights looking like diamonds when they twinkled, my sister and I decided to visit the Tower up close. When I made this photograph I was looking for something a little different, so I used the Singh-Ray Color Intensifier to bring out as much color as I could and shot while moving my camera slowly upwards bringing out those sparkling diamond-like lights as well. What fun! I am also extremely fond of the Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue filter and once I start working with it, I can not put it away. The longer I use 'that filter,' the more applications I find for it. It's extremely useful in my photography."

Although DiMaggio and Kalish are based in New York and the Upper Delaware Valley, this duo maintains a globe-trotting shooting schedule as well operating the DiMaggio/Kalish Learning Center. Learn more about their many workshops and projects by visiting their website.

No comments: