Tuesday, December 30, 2008

"Hidden superpowers" claimed for Reverse ND Grad can't be confirmed

On the last day of November, outdoor photographer Jamie Fullerton and a photographer friend started out early from his home in Redmond, Washington, headed for Chinook Pass -- the east entrance to Mount Rainier National Park. "I had offered to drive up into the mountains," says Jamie, "on what might be our last chance before the roads closed for the winter. As we left Redmond, a steady drizzle fell from a television sky. As we neared Lake Tipsoo, a starry sky opened up above us. Charles kept pointing toward the mountain and wowing. We soon met up with several other photographers just as the show began.

"That morning, we witnessed a sunrise like no other I had seen from that location. It was simply incredible. My favorite place to shoot in this area is a point at the edge of a small pond near the parking area. But on this morning, as we were hurrying along to that favorite location, I glanced over at Mount Rainier and saw the scene in the photo above. I stopped in my tracks -- thinking I could certainly spare sixty seconds for such an magical view! Very quickly, I mounted my Singh-Ray 3-Stop Reverse Graduated ND Filter onto my 24-70 f/2.8L and shot two horizontal frames to be stitched together for a panoramic view. I then captured two more vertical frames in the same manner, just in case, and quickly sprinted off to my "hot spot." For the vertical shot, I stacked the 3-Stop Reverse ND Grad on top of the LB Warming Polarizer, using just enough polarization to enhance reflections while taming Mount Rainier with 3 stops of added ND density.

"The decision to use the 3-Stop Reverse ND Graduated filter for this scene had actually been made in my mind long before I had even purchased the filter. After reviewing my photographs from a previous visit to this location, I concluded that many of the images indicated my standard 3-Stop Graduated ND filter left the sky unnaturally dark and lacking in detail. By using the 3-Stop Reverse ND Grad, I was able to hold back the snowy peak by 3 stops while holding back the sky by only 2 stops. This tactic worked wonders throughout the morning and led to many successful images.

"You can see several more shots from that morning at my website. All of them were made using the same approach with the 3-Stop Reverse ND Grad filter. Yet again, I am impressed! I believe that this filter may contain hidden superpowers available to those willing to experiment with it!"

No comments: