Friday, October 24, 2008

Singh-Ray's new Vari-N-Duo proves to be the perfect choice to capture a Harbinger

As a serious fine-art photographer specializing in black and white images, Cole Thompson was recently invited to try Singh-Ray's new Vari-N-Duo Polarizing Variable ND Filter. "I've been a big fan of the Vari-ND for some time," says Cole, "but I wasn't sure what benefit I could get out of having an LB Polarizer built into the filter. I put the new filter in my bag anyway.

"Soon after, I began a new 'Harbinger' series of photos of solitary clouds hovering over some sort of equally interesting landscape -- quite aware that this would be a project that might take many years. What is the Harbinger series about? I don't like interpreting my images for others, but the word 'harbinger' is a hint. It's a noun meaning anything that foreshadows a future event; omen; sign.

"Fast forward to September, I'm spending two weeks alone on the Bandon, Oregon coastline using my Vari-ND extensively. Up until now I've not had a lot of need for the new Duo filter, but suddenly I see a lone cloud out over the ocean! I want a 30-second exposure for the water but I don't want the sky washed out. Suddenly I remember I have the Vari-N-Duo for testing.

"This image required both a long exposure for the water and a darkening of the sky to bring out the solitary cloud... a perfect application for this new filter! The image was easily captured with the Vari-N-Duo plus an additional ND filter to provide a 30-second exposure. The resulting photograph makes a fine addition to my Harbinger portfolio (I'm up to three images now).

"So now I'm thinking," says Cole, "that even if I don't run into a lot of situations where I need such a filter; whenever I do, my Vari-N-Duo will be a life saver."

To see Cole's entire Harbinger portfolio and his many other uniquely graphic landscapes, head for his website now.

2 comments:

Xavi Fuentes said...

Excellent series, Cole... your recent projects get better and better :-)

Xavi Fuentes said...

Every new series is breathtaking... Cole`s work is wonderful...