Wednesday, February 06, 2008

LB Polarizer captures more detail in the swirling rapids at Great Falls NP

Chris Kayler, one of the young photographers featured in the Summer 2007 issue of Nature's Best Photography magazine, continues to pursue his degree in Environmental Science at Northern Virginia Community College and use his Singh-Ray LB Warming Polarizer "nearly every time I go out to photograph scenic images. I selected this image to point out how the LB Warming Polarizer helped me capture additional detail and texture in the rapidly swirling water.

"The LB Warming Polarizer provides the same polarizing power of other high-quality polarizers but reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor by only 1-1/3 stops of light, as opposed to the traditional 2-stop reduction when using a conventional polarizer. Thanks to this new-found increase in shutter speed, I have more options for photographic creativity. One reason for this is that I like to use water as a foreground feature whenever I can. When using slow shutter speeds, water takes on a silky appearance devoid of texture. While in many situations this effect can be extremely pleasing, often I want to impart more life into the water, especially when the water itself is not calm or silky. One place where this really applies is at Great Falls National Park, a nearby haunt of mine. In the image above, I was able to use the LB Warming Polarizer to tame some reflections on the surrounding rocks while still maintaining a fast shutter speed to capture the action and add interest to the foreground by creating an attractive mixture of foam, bubbles, water, and light. Using a normal polarizer would have resulted in a slower shutter speed and the foreground would have been far less interesting.

"For those times when I may actually want to achieve that silky look, the LB Warming Polarizer can be replaced with a solid neutral density filter. I much prefer being able to start with faster shutter speeds and then add neutral density filters when I want to slow down my shutter speed as opposed to using a 'slower' polarizer and never being able to acquire the faster exposures provided by the LB Warming Polarizer."

In other words, you won’t catch Chris out in the field or on the riverbank without his LB Warming Polarizer! You can, however, catch his website at chriskaylerphotography.com.

No comments: