Friday, September 14, 2007

When our photography reflects our environmental concerns. . .

33-year-old Californian Josh Andrews began photographing at an early age, "hoping to create both an artistic and environmentally conscious perspective of the world that highlights our need to preserve it." In his pursuit, Josh has photographed in Alaska, Greenland and Svalbard near the Arctic Circle, as well as the American Southwest.

"This first image of Lake Clark Pass in Alaska was taken on a hot, cloudy day in mid-August. The sky was extremely bright. I realized it would be necessary to balance sky and the water by using one of my Singh-Ray Graduated ND filters. To help anchor the foreground, I set my tripod low to the ground and partially in the lake which gave more emphasis to the driftwood. Using both a polarizer to cut through some of the haze and a 2-stop soft-step ND grad to hold back the sky and the mountains, I shot the scene with a 24-70mm lens at f/16 and a shutter speed of 1/25th of a second."

Josh captured the next image while traveling along the eastern coast of Greenland. "Our group headed through Kong Oscar Fjord and stopped in Drommebugt Bay, also known aptly as the 'Bay of Dreams.' It was approaching sunset. The sidelight hitting the mountains brought out their detail and the unique cloud formations made for a beautiful scene. I framed the ice to anchor the foreground--and repeat the sloping line of the mountain--by lowering my tripod and and setting the focal length of my 24-70mm zoom lens at 30mm. To hold the detail in the sky and the low-hanging mist at the edge of the scene, I tilted my 2-stop soft-step ND Grad diagonally to follow the slanting horizon line. I then closed down my aperture and exposed for 1/160th of a second.

In addition to his various Graduated ND Filters, Josh also uses the Singh-Ray Vari-ND and LB Color Intensifier. He's now planning trips to Hawaii and Death Valley in the months ahead. You can follow his trail by visiting his website, JoshAndrewsPhotography.com

No comments: