Thursday, September 20, 2007

A week photographing on Baffin Island: Thursday

It's time for another cool photo report from Daryl Benson's weeklong series of images from the Baffin Islands around Pond Inlet (Mittimatalik), Bylot Island and Sirmilik National Park way up in the Canadian North.

"One of the reasons I went on this trip," says Daryl, "was to photograph on Bylot Island located in one of Canada's newest national parks, Sirmilik. Bylot Island is covered by mountains, icefields, snowfields and glaciers. It's remote, with zero facilities, full of polar bears (we saw seven), and because it's a national park you're not allowed to carry a gun--unless you're Inuit. For those of you who don't know me personally, I'm not Inuit. Neither was my guide; actually he was Scottish, but that's another story.

"We hiked every day over endless miles of mattresses (actually it was spongy, water logged, tundra, but it sucked the energy out of every step like hiking on piles of mattresses would, with the odd boulder hidden just below the surface to roll your ankle on). There are two valleys in this park that have rarely been visited but contain some of Canada's most dramatic natural landscapes (and I know because I've seen most of them). Getting to these two locations is why I expended so much energy, time and resources. My photos for today and Friday represent a small collection of images from those lost world valleys."
Be sure to click on these pictures to see enlarged versions revealing much more detail in each image. Stay tuned for Daryl's fifth and final report tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I had no idea! Amazing!