Monday, August 27, 2007

You're never too young to
use filters like a pro! Part 2

Today we're featuring another one of the young nature photographers featured in the Summer issue of Nature's Best Photography magazine (the "For Kids, By Kids" issue), 20-year-old Chris Kayler. Chris is pursuing a degree in Environmental Science at Northern Virginia Community College and taking his outdoor photography very seriously.

"In my spare time," says Chris, "I am out in the field photographing and enjoying nature. My appreciation for the natural world, along with a desire to show others its magic, led me to develop a love for photography."

We asked Chris to send these examples of how he uses his Singh-Ray Filters. "This first image was made before sunrise on the North Shore of Hawaii's Oahu Island," says Chris. "I was greeted by the sounds of crashing surf and the sight of the setting moon. To convey the almost magical feeling, I used a 3-1/2 minute exposure—blurring the water and showing the movement of the clouds. With the clouds moving quickly out of my viewfinder and the light constantly changing, taking two long-exposure images to combine later in Photoshop would have been quite impractical, By using the Singh-Ray 3-stop hard-step Graduated Neutral Density Filter, I captured the scene before it changed.

The second photo was taken in Chittenango Falls State Park, New York. "There are a variety of ways to photograph these picturesque cascades of Chittenango Falls," says Chris, "but on this day the sky was brightly overcast and featureless so I decided on a long-exposure.

"Using my Canon 20D and 70-200 f4 lens with an ISO of 100 and a 1.4X Teleconverter resulted in an exposure of 1/8 second at f22—not slow enough for my purpose.

"Enter the Singh-Ray 3-stop Neutral Density Filter. . .and now I was able to slow my shutter speed down to 1 full second and produce just the right amount of blur."

To see more of Chris's photography, visit his website chriskaylerphotography.com. We're pleased to see how this new generation of photographers understands the benefits that filters can offer, and how they can be used to get the image right "in camera" while out in the field.

No comments: