Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A fishing crocodile? VARI-ND helps tell the story

When visiting the Serengeti National Park in Tanzania recently, Bob Krist came upon this wily croc lying stock still in the Grumeti River beneath a set of rapids.

As Bob explains it, "With his mouth open to allow the rushing water to filter through his jaws, the croc waited patiently for the fish to swim right in. It was mid-afternoon on an overcast day, but still too bright to pull off what I wanted to do. So I put the Vari-ND on my 80-400mm f4-5.6 AF VR lens and steadied my Nikon D200 into a beanbag on the roof of the Landrover. This allowed me to get down to about 1/15 of a second at f16 and shoot a series of long exposures to create the moving water effect."

In his Photo Traveler column in the July 2007 issue of Outdoor Photographer, Bob calls this crocodile image "one of my favorite shots of the whole trip." We can see why.

No comments: