Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Catching the Waves Like Never Before

Recently Dewitt Jones has been shooting a series of images on breaking waves for a one-man show on Maui. He's sent us this brief progress report.

"The Singh-Ray Vari-ND worked flawlessly—allowing me tremendous freedom to create images that expressed the spirit of the waves I was shooting. Using a slow shutter speed and panning with the waves allowed me to make images that were quite painterly, especially when I combined the Vari-ND with the Singh-Ray Gold-N-Blue Polarizer for added color.

"The Vari-ND really knocked me out, however, when I photographed a wave at high noon with full sun reflecting off it. The Vari-ND slowed my exposure to the point that the intense reflections on the wave became beautiful brush strokes. Truly amazing. No other filter would have allowed me to get this shot!"


You can follow Dewitt's photo adventures in his monthly column, "Basic Jones," in Outdoor Photographer.

2 comments:

Leo said...

I was never quite sure, should the Gold-n-Blue be used alone or together with a regular polarizer?

Singh-Ray Filters said...

Leo, the Vari-ND does not perform as a regular polarizer, so it does not cause problems when combined with the Gold-N-Blue as Dewitt did in these shots.

However, if you use the Gold-N-Blue with a regular polarizer, you will probably get moire or other undesireable interference. But since the Gold-N-Blue is polarizing the light, you shouldn't need to use it with another polarizer anyway. Probably the thing to do is try the Gold-N-Blue on the scene, then just try it with a regular polarizer, and see which version you prefer. If you use the Gold-N-Blue with a digital camera, be sure to check out this article by Darwin Wiggett.